Tuesday, December 20, 2011

the Rockies, Rangers, and a predictable fate for Aaron Rowand.

It appears the Rangers and Rockies have been quite busy lately with their signing developments. With the Rockies, it seems like signing Michael Cuddyer got the ball rolling and now there's talk of them acquiring Brad Lidge, and having recently signed Casey Blake.


I don't really have a feeling one way or the other about Casey Blake, other than the fact that he is now an ex-Dodger. I imagine that going from Los Angeles to Denver would be a hell of an upgrade!


As for Brad Lidge, I have rather fond memories of his time with the Astros (with teammate and favorite Lance Berkman) and when he was part of the team's great run in the playoffs in 2005. I can even forgive his unattractive choice in facial hair, because otherwise he's pretty cute. Aesthetics, as usual with me, is a big factor here.


Speaking of former teammates from the 2005 NLCS Astros, Roy Oswalt is also seeking a short-term deal for 2012. It seems that both Lidge and Oswalt (NLCS MVP in 2005) have declined in recent years, though with the latter it seemed that injuries were mostly to blame. As sad as this is to say, I was pretty happy when the Giants beat Oswalt earlier this year, but that's only because he's currently a Phillie. Not necessarily his fault. If he signs with another team next year (barring a few exceptions), I'll probably like him again. Although, as previously stated, I'm not proud of that. Anyhow.


Now we move on to the Rangers and their developments with two players I'm not too fond of. As previously mentioned, I'm not a Mike Napoli fan. But still, the Rangers have been in talks with him about a possible contract extension starting in 2012. It's been predicted that he will make over $9 million next season. Wait, what? The catcher whose defensive abilities have been called into question will make that much? I see things with Napoli going the way they went for Cody Ross. Napoli, to me, seems like nothing more than a flash in the pan. Who knows, maybe he'll vastly improve next year and be worth $9 million. But I doubt it.


His teammate Derek Holland is also up for a possible contract extension next year. Perhaps I was too quick to say I don't like Derek Holland (or "Dutch Oven" as he is referred to). I'm not going to lie and say I like him for the right reasons - because I don't. Holland was part of the trio of pitchers that collapsed during that infamous game in the 2010 World Series (one of my better baseball memories, perhaps ever). Because of that, he will always have a place in my heart. And it's not as if he didn't have a good season this year. Hopes were high for him with the Rangers in the playoffs (along with how many others?). Any way I look at it, however, he's still with the Rangers. I also have to say the quasi-mustache disturbs me a little.


Now it's on to the main event, in which I get to gloat just a bit. I don't get that chance too often, so I'm going to take full advantage of it. Aaron Rowand was really the only sore spot from the 2010 Giants team. I never understood why they acquired him or why they paid him so much. Okay, so he won a World Series with the White Sox. As per usual with the Giants though, that was not recently.

My complaints about Rowand have rarely ever been about his defensive skills. And regardless of how I feel about him, that one killer throw he made from the outfield in the 2010 World Series is one I will likely never forget. However, that does not make up for his offensive skills, which leave much to be desired. When he came to the Giants, he was not cheap and it took awhile for other people to realize that maybe he wasn't worth his high salary. In addition to that, again, it's not his fault, but he has the strangest build of any player I've ever seen. For me, something about that guy isn't right.

Anyway, earlier this week he signed a minor league deal with the Marlins. Now that just sounds bad. A minor league deal with the Marlins? Oh, how the once-barely-mighty have fallen. So many people I know defended Rowand when he was with the Giants. It was downright annoying. But now? I feel pretty justified in my doubts about him, especially when I think about all of the other outfielders the Giants could have signed instead. It's almost painful. Meh.

A final little tidbit I've chewing on for awhile: why did the Giants re-sign Eli Whiteside? If someone could explain that to me, I would appreciate it. Because I'm rather confused over here.

No comments:

Post a Comment