Monday, December 5, 2011

the Marlins are still the Marlins and other truths.

Having lurked in the forums on mlbtraderumors.com recently, I've come to an interesting conclusion: either I don't know jack about baseball or I should be glad that I come up for air once in awhile. Those forum posters mean business! Sure, there's always more to learn about in regards to just about everything, but this is a whole other ballgame (so to speak). I'd like to think I know a thing or two (or three, or four) about baseball. I'm fairly confident in that stance. However, now I feel like my status as a baseball junkie is in jeopardy. How much more can my brain possibly process and retain? I've never been good at pacing myself and tend to hit the ground running with most things - which is why I often get tripped up along the way. Maybe I can think of this as being served a slice of humble pie. Except the pie is oliberry. And I hate oliberry.

My long-winded point is that I want to learn as much as I can about baseball, without it further encroaching on my life. I have to say though, that not knowing who Chris Iannetta (former Rockies catcher, recently acquired by the Angels) was is something I'm not proud of. I mean, how many of us can name former Mets players without (really) knowing who is currently in their lineup? I certainly can and I have no idea why. My brain must still have plenty of spongue-absorbing power left. I think. Anyhow.

Apparently, the world of baseball is not far removed from the world of politics, at least not as of late: Albert Pujols may be lying about his age and if he does not produce a birth certificate, he can forget about getting offered more than a $200 million/nine-year contract.


If I were Pujols, I wouldn't really give a crap. I'd still be Albert Pujols. And I think I'd be pretty damn happy with that Cardinals offer anyway. I don't know think we will find out suddenly that he's 35 instead of 31. Because we all know that 31 is ancient. I guess in baseball it's kind of getting there. I digress.

So, Jose Reyes is officially a Miami Marlin. Like some baseball insiders I've been following, I would love to know where all of this money is coming from for his $100+ million contract. Sure, they probably haven't spent a ton of money on payroll over the last few seasons, but they are still going after CJ Wilson and/or Mark Buerhle. Obviously, neither of those pitchers will command a small salary and they shouldn't. The Marlins might have a new name and ballpark, but they can't escape the fact that they are in Miami. Florida is a college football state, not a baseball state. I remember reading a quote once that basically said, "Florida would rather see Shamu than Mike Cameron". I think that general sentiment still applies today.


I'm also finding it amusing that the two teams who have signed the most players so far are the Marlins and the Dodgers. Bankruptcy should not equal aggression on the free agent market! At least not to me. I guess we'll see what the winter meetings produce this week.

The final topic I want to mention is the news that Pedro Martinez is retiring.


While not necessarily a favorite of mine, Pedro has more than sealed his place as one of the best pitchers of his generation. And if it weren't for that pesky strike during the 1994 season that axed the World Series, he would probably have more than one championship ring to show for it. Not that he needs it. Regardless, I tip my hat to him for his many achievements. And for his tendency towards fighting, which I just think is fun. Rar!



No comments:

Post a Comment